Sunday, April 17, 2011

Let's set somethings straight!

I said I was a sous chef at the Barn of Barrington to an old friend - which in my opinion I was - but that isn't what the Barn called me - here's a thot I sent on to her just to clear the record....
 
Now - just to set record straight - I was not OFFICIALLY a sous chef - in fact neither the upstairs kitchen nor downstairs had a sous chef.  I worked there three seperate times - it was too late to do in the school year!  I worked in the Carvary - which was only open wed-thurs-sat-sundays - but generally about 55-60 hrs a week -  the downstairs room soph summer - jr summer then after graduation(highschool).  And filled in when I was needed during the year - officially I was "salad girl".  Tom was head chef - but I think everyone just called him the boss - lol - and he was upstairs.  For the life of me I cannot recall my chef's name but as the years went by he got drunker and drunker.  It was just the two of us downstairs.  And I had to come in earlier and earlier to do his prep as well as salads, appetizers and desserts.  That last time I was often starting service without him - many things like the prime rib, say, which had to be started earlier in the day came down to us from upstairs - but the downstairs served many things up didn't -
 
Anyway - I can truly say one of the highlights of those years was when Eve Arden - I so loved Our Miss Brooks =) came in - landed by helicopter - she was doing some theatre in the area - and the gm came to me when she wanted the swan glace' - because he knew my raspberry sauce was the best in the house (little secret the barkeep and I had lol - and not alcholic either =) - and then she wanted to meet me - but they wouldn't let me leave the kitchen =( I got to look out the door at her tho - she was still drop dead glam!!!!!!!!!!
 
That's the end of the email to my friend - I was such a mess by the end of the night, there!  They called me Aunt Jemima - cmon, NOT rude - because I wore a bandana like the syrup lady did =) Chopping frogs legs - shelling oysters,  making crepes, prepping any kitchen is messy =) My Mom used to smell me from a block away - but she loved that Black Forest Torte I brought her =) Memories,,,
 
Best people in the world are restaurant people....seriously =)

No comments:

Post a Comment